It’s Derby season and that means my passion for concocting bourbon cocktails is welcome. I am frequently experimenting with my beloved spirit and whatever fruits and herbs I have in my refrigerator and garden. Here, dear friends is a recipe sure to get you through the summer, and is even better if you are lucky enough to get fresh blueberries from a local farm. Grow yourself some mint (it’s a very low maintenance plant) and have this cocktail all summer long.
Blueberry Bourbon Summer Smash
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 Lemon, cut into wheels
- Mint leaves
- 1/2 oz Simple syrup
- 2oz Bulleit Bourbon (or whatever your favorite may be)
- One extra large ice cube
- Muddle a handful of blueberries, we will say about 16, in a cocktail shaker.
- Once they are mildly muddled, add in a lemon wheel, a few mint leaves, and a cocktail spoon full of simple syrup and muddle a bit more.
- Add in a jigger of bourbon and fill up the shaker with ice. Shake vigorously.
- Pour over a solo large ice cube. Top with seltzer.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and a lemon wheel.
Go ahead and Instagram this magnificent drink, your friends will fancy you a mixologist in no time.